1. Clinical Governance (policies and procedures)
2. Anatomy and physiology of the child and newborn
3. Pediatric Pharmacology:
- administration routes;
- drug distribution: metabolism and elimination;
- inhalational anesthetics;
- intravenous agents;
- opioid drugs and antagonists;
- neuromuscular blocking drugs and antagonists;
- local anesthetics;
- emergency drugs (inotropic, vasopressors, diuretics, …).
4. Preparation to surgery:
- medical disorders that can affect anesthesia;
- anesthesiological indications in syndromes and anatomical functional disorders;
- anesthetic indications in different anatomical and functional syndromes and disorders;
- choice of hematological-chemical and instrumental tests;
- choice of blood chemistry and instrumental investigations;
- definition of anesthesiological risk in pediatrics;
- informed consent;
- psychological aspects.
5. Preparation of the operating room:
- room structure;
- anesthesia device;
- anesthesia trolley;
- ventilation systems;
- monitoring systems (respiratory, cardiovascular, celebral, of the sedation and anesthesia level, temperature);
- heating system;
- fluid therapy equipment;
- latex-free pathway;
- the presence of parents in the operating room.
6. General anesthesia:
- induction of inhalational general anesthesia;
- choice of inhalational anesthetic;
- induction techniques;
7. General intravenous balanced anesthesia
8. Total Intravenous anesthesia (TIVA)
9. Management of airway:
- face mask, laryngeal mask;
- tracheal tube;
- difficult airway (video-assisted intubation, supra-glottis devices, sub-glottis devices);
- effects of anesthetics on ventilation;
- ventilation in spontaneous breathing;
- mechanical ventilation;
- fluid therapy (perioperative, intraoperative and postoperative);
- transfusion of blood and blood products: indications, risks, infusion technical aspects.
10. Regional anesthesia:
- anatomical features;
- physiological characteristics;
- peripheral blocks;
- central blocks;
- thoracic epidural anesthesia.
11. Postoperative pain:
- protocols and guidelines.
12. Specialized pediatric anesthesia:
- thoracic surgery;
- cardiac surgery;
- neonatal surgery;
- orthopaedics and Traumatology.